AIA Canada is excited to to partner with Passive House Canada to offer this four-part course to AIA members.
Course Title: Flixo Training – Model Thermal Bridges for High-Performance Buildings
Provider Name: AIA Canada Society
Provider Number: 100100113
Course Number: 2022AIACS017
Credits: 15 AIA LU and HSW
Course Fee: $1,010
(AIA members get 10% discount with code AIAPL39#)
In this 16 hour course, you will model thermal bridges using Flixo and understand the impact of design details on the energy performance of High-Performance Buildings/ Passive House Buildings. We cover the concepts and protocols for thermal bridge modelling. Then, you will model several common thermal bridges using Flixo with guidance. Recommended for: Architects, engineers, energy modellers, Passive House consultants, designers and other building professionals who want to build on their skills of thermal bridge modelling.
This course includes a one-year “training” Flixo Energy Plus License (a value of $344 USD). Students who already have the Flixo software may be eligible for a discount and should reach out to us at email@example.com for further information.
1) Identifying Thermal Bridges
- Types of Thermal Bridges
- Visual examples of common details
- Discussion of techniques to reduce psi values
- Determining which thermal bridges need to be modelled
- Qualitative and quantitative assessment
2) Thermal Bridge Protocols
- Overview of modelling and psi value calculation process
- Standard boundary conditions
- Material properties
- Geometry requirements
- Reference points
- Calculation and use of equivalent U-values within models
- Entering psi-values in WUFI Passive and PHPP
3) Flixo Walk-through
4) In class demonstrations of modelling for several important thermal bridge types
- Exterior and interior wall corners
- Rim joists
- Roof eaves
- Foundations (slabs and footings)
- Windows (sill, header, jamb)
- Special cases: Unheated basement
5) Tips and Tricks for Projects with Large Amounts of Thermal Bridges
6) Flixo Practice
- Individual/small-team modelling projects using selected details from real projects.
- Some familiarity with thermal bridges.
- For a better learning experience in this course, we encourage participants to have 2 monitors during the course.
Day 1 & 2: Wednesday March 15 & Friday March 17, 2023 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm (PDT)
Day 3 & 4: Wednesday March 29 & Friday March 31, 2023 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm (PDT)
Learning Objective 1:
Learn to model thermal bridges.
Learning Objective 2:
Learn the types of thermal bridges.
Learning Objective 3:
Understand the impact of design details on energy performance of High-performance buildings / Passive House.
Learning Objective 4:
Learn about concepts and protocol for thermal bridge modelling: – Overview of modelling and psi value calculation process – Standard boundary conditions – Material properties – Geometry requirements – Reference points – Calculation and use of equivalent U-values within models – Entering psi-values in WUFI Passive and PHPP.